Updated: September 26th, 2012
Avira (“Avira”, “we”, “us”, “our”), alone or through its affiliates, is committed to protecting the privacy of users of its website, www.socialshield.com (“Site”). This Privacy Statement applies to the Site and describes the information Avira collects about users and how that information may be used. For the purpose of the Privacy Statement, Avira shall mean Avira, Inc., 330 Primrose Rd , Burlingame, CA 94010, USA except if you are located outside the United States or Canada, then Avira shall mean Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG, Kaplaneiweg 1, 88069 Tettnang, Germany.
Avira provides this Privacy Statement to make users aware of our privacy practices, and of the choices a user may make about the way their information is collected and used. The Site is intended for adults, and it is intended to enable parents and legal guardians to observe their children’s access of and interaction with social networking websites (“Services”). This Privacy Statement applies to the collection, use, maintenance and sharing of personally identifying information collected about parents, legal guardians and their child or children, as well as personally identifying information collected about the child or children on a social networking website. Unless stated otherwise, all references to “user”, “your” or “you” in this Privacy Statement refer to a parent or legal guardian.
1. HOW WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
Avira obtains information, which will be stored to the extend allowed by applicable law, in the territory of the United States of America, from and about you and your child or your children, in the following ways:
A. Device and Aggregate Information
As do many other websites, we gather web server log file information automatically such as your IP address, browser type, referring/exit pages, web pages visited, operating system and domain name of your Internet service provider. We use this information to administer the Site, understand how visitors navigate through the Site and to improve visitors’ experience when using the Site. In addition, we may provide data not considered as personal data about our customers, sales, Site traffic patterns and related information to our affiliates or third parties.
B. Personally Identifying Information
You must provide certain personally identifying information to us as part of the registration process in order to receive the Services, as set forth in our Terms of Service.
- Registration Information. In order to use the Site, you must first complete the registration form. During your registration, you will be required to provide certain personally identifying information, including but not limited to, your name and email address, and the name and email address of the child or children added to your account.
- Information from Social Networking Sites. After registration is completed and you connect to your child or children's account on a social networking site (including but not limited to, Facebook, Google+, Formspring and Twitter) via our Services, we will access and store the information about your child or children explicitly allowed by the social networking site in their terms of service. We use the information from the social networking site or sites to provide you reports and email notifications as set forth in our Terms of Service. Because we do not have control over the user interfaces provided by social networking platforms, we do not take any responsibility for any changes or problems with the user interface or the exchange of information provided by any of these social networking websites.
- Third Party Information. In order to provide the Services, we collect personally identifying information from the social networking websites your child or children use. These are third party sites and our Privacy Statement does not apply to those sites. In addition, when you provide personally identifying information to a third party website which is not related to Avira or our affiliates, that website may collect personally identifying information about you which may then populate our registration forms when you register with us.
- Email Information. When you send us email messages, we may retain the content of your email, together with your email address and our response to you.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you the Services. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you the Services, contact us at email@example.com and we will deactivate your account and will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or enforce our agreements with you.
C. Cookies and Clear Gifs
- Help our visitors navigate the Site;
- Facilitate the registration and login process for our services;
- Personalize user experience;
- Analyze our visitors’ visits and usage of product features; and
- Measure advertising and promotional effectiveness.
Clear Gifs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs): We partner with third party analytics service providers and they may use software technology called clear gifs (also known as Web Beacons/Web Bugs) that help us better manage content on the Site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers’ personally identifying information.
We use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our communications. If you would like to opt-out of these emails, please see “Choice and Opt-out” in Section 5 below.
D. Links to Other Websites
The Site may contain links to other websites that are not owned or controlled by Avira or our affiliates. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites. We encourage you to review and understand the privacy policies of those other websites. This Privacy Statement applies only to information collected by the Site.
E. Online Surveys
We occasionally conduct surveys on the Site to learn about your views on our Services. If you participate, we will request certain personally identifying information from you. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary and you therefore have a choice whether or not to disclose this information. We use the survey data for research and to improve our service. We may share the aggregate survey results with the media and our partners. We will not share the personally identifying information you provide through a survey with other third parties unless we give you prior notice and a choice regarding such sharing.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
The Site is intended for adults, and it is intended to enable parents or legal guardians of a child or children to observe that child’s or children’s access of and interaction with social networking websites. When you provide us with your child’s or children’s name and email address, or their social networking website log in credentials, we will observe their activity on the specified site by reviewing and alerting you to suspicious or concerning activity, including contact from strangers, cyberbullying dangers, inappropriate content/language and reputation risk.
A. Customer Service
Based upon the personally identifying information you provide us, we will send you a welcome email to verify your username and password. We will also communicate with you in response to your inquiries, to provide the service(s) you request and to manage your account. We will also provide you with email notifications regarding your child’s or children’s activities on the specific site for which you requested the Services and instruct you to view your account with us.
B. Service-Related Announcements
When necessary, we will send you strictly service-related announcements regarding any maintenance issues with your account or the Site.
C. Community Features
We provide a community forum in which visitors may communicate with other visitors and with us. The community forum features include, but are not limited to, “Question and Answer features and parenting tips. To take advantage of those features , you must first register with us and agree to our Terms of Service. The content you provide in the community forum will be shared with other members and will also be viewable by non-members. To request removal of your personally identifying information from our blog or community forum, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personally identifying information, but we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
D. User Testimonials
We post user’s testimonials on the Site, which may contain personally identifying information. Prior to posting a testimonial, we will obtain consent via email if the user’s name is posted with their testimonial.
3. HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
We may provide your personally identifying information to companies that provide services to help us with our business activities, such as Site analytics or customer service but only if and to the extent that this is covered by applicable law. These third parties are authorized to use your personally identifying information only as necessary to provide these services to us. We may also disclose your personally identifying information (if and to the extent that this is covered by applicable law):
- As required by law to government officials (for example, to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process);
- When we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a written government request;
- In the event of a change of our ownership or sale of our assets, if some or all personally identifying information is subject to transfer, and we will notify you by email or a prominent notice will be placed on the Site; and
- To any other third party with your prior consent to do so.
We will share your and your child's or children’s personally identifying information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this Privacy Statement. We will not otherwise disclose or distribute your or your child's or children’s personally identifying information to third parties unless we have your consent to do so.
4. ACCESSING AND UPDATING YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
If you need to make changes to the personally identifying information you provided to us, you may do so by logging into your account and updating your Account Settings, or by contacting us at email@example.com.
To prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, maintain data accuracy and ensure the appropriate use of information, we implement physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. We use encryption when using the Internet to transfer or receive requested personally identifying information. However, we do not guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not ever defeat measures taken to prevent improper use of personally identifying information.
Our internal access to users’ nonpublic personally identifying information is restricted to employees who need the information to perform a specific task (for example, billing or customer service). User passwords are keys to accounts. We recommend you use unique numbers, letters and special characters for passwords and do not disclose passwords to other people in order to prevent loss of account control. Users are responsible for all actions taken in their accounts. Notify us immediately if you know, or suspect your password has been compromised, and change passwords periodically to maintain account protection.
If you have any questions about security on the Site, or believe your password may have been compromised or would like to opt out from emails send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
Avira reserves the right to update and change this Privacy Statement at any time and from time to time. If material changes are made to our privacy practices, a prominent notice will be posted on this web page prior to the change(s) becoming effective. Each time a user uses the Site, the current version of the Privacy Statement applies. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices. If you do not agree to this Privacy Statement, you should not use the Site.
7. CONTACT AND COMPLIANCE INFORMATION
If you have comments or questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us by one of the following means:
Mail: Avira, Inc., 330 Primrose Rd.; Suite 610, Burlingame, CA 94010